I recently experienced an issue when configuring an AudioCodes Mediant 1000 MSBG Survivable Branch Appliance for Lync Server 2010. When working through the SBA configuration wizard and getting to the “Backup Replica” stage, this would consistently fail with the following error:
cannot open database xds requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user ‘Domain\SBACOMPUTERNAME’
After performing some research on this issue and attempting fixes detailed in other blogs in regards to ensuring the RTCUniversalSBATechnicians Active Directory group was added to the local administrators group on the SBA, I was not having much joy. To work around the problem and get a replica of the CMS database onto the SBA, in order to proceed with the installation, the following was performed.
1. Connect to the server that hold the front end role in your Lync Server 2010 environment.
2. Open the Lync Management Shell and type the following command: Export-CsConfiguration -FileName “C:\Config.zip”
3. Once the command has completed, navigate to the C:\ of the front end server and then copy the generated “Config.zip” file to the root of the SBA’s C:\ drive. This can be acheieved by browsing to the C$ share of the SBA.
4. Once the Config.zip file has been copied to the SBA, make and RDP connection to the appliance and open the Lync Management Shell.
5. Once the Lync Management Shell has loaded, enter the following command: Import-CSConfiguration -Verbose -LocalStore -FileName ‘C:\config.zip”
6. Once the command has completed, a replica of the CMS will have been imported into the SBA. You can confirm if this was successful by opening the Lync Control Panel on your front end server, selecting the topology tab and confirming the SBA object has a green check next to replication. You can now complete the remainder of the SBA setup.
That’s it, the SBA should now work as intended and replicate correctly with the CMS.